I Need a Map Out

How did I end up here? I was once very active and in good health. I don't know exactly which wrong turns guided me to where I am today, but I need a map out! It started with health issues during and after my last pregnancy and then spiraled from there. Stress is definitely a factor. Hummm...a love of chocolate or any sweet helped too. December 2009, I began to turn toward a healthy lifestyle, I was over 100 pounds from my goal weight.

You will notice that I am NOT using the "D" word! I decided if I was truly going to lose weight I needed to actually focus on a lifestyle change. I decided to also be satisfied with any steps moving in the right direction. This weight didn't come on over night and if it came off over night it would just return in the morning:)

I am slowly creating a map out! When I started exercising, I basically just went to an aerobic class every week. I can admit that I wasn't sure if I could even make it through a class, but I did! Of course I didn't complete all the exact exercises, but that wasn't the goal. About a month later, they canceled the classes. WHAT?!? I just got started. Luckily a gym was opening in our town, Anytime Fitness.

My husband had been mentioning joining the gym, but I was very reluctant. Of course if he wanted to join that was great. I didn't want to waste money on something I probably wouldn't use more than a month. Probably out of aggravation I picked up a flyer that had been floating around our home for a few weeks. Do you know what the new gym included? Classes! Yes aerobics class and more were offered with membership. Ok, now I wanted to know more!

The gym wasn't actually open yet, but they allowed you to come in a sample classes. I was super excited! They were killer but they helped mark my path out. What else have I found while creating my map out? Here are a few great resources:

1) SparkPeople
2) My Fitness Pal
3) iTreadmill

I guess I should have warned you; I'm a bit of a techie geek. All three of the resources above include apps for the iphone. The first two have numerous resources such as recipes, healthy living tips, message boards, record weight-nutrition-exercise, etc. Don't worry! If you don't have an iPhone, you can still use both of these resources online. While researching healthy living, I found out that you need to walk between 6000-10,000 steps a day to be considered active. iTreadmill is used for that purpose. about once every couple of months, I start it and check my steps throughout the day. If I'm low, a few changes can usually make a big difference such as parking further from the building, walking numerous times to refill water, or just take a stroll.

I've lost 32 pounds since December. I know if you calculate this out, it seems like a very small amount per week. Remember the goal is to make a lifestyle change, NOT to rush into a quick fix. My weight began coming off pretty quick and then I started hitting several plateaus. I'll go into that more tomorrow, but I have learned a lot!

Have you started mapping your way out? What are some of your favorite resources?

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

1 Response to "I Need a Map Out"

  1. dgpender says:
    August 8, 2010 at 6:35 PM

    I am anxious to put the app (iTreadmill) on my iPod Touch. I am trying to get control of my life, too. I started in February trying to really "think" before I put something in my mouth. I have joined AddLife (when I had reached a plateau) and we do step aerobics, light weights, and floor exercises. It is a great workout for an hour, and I am able to go 3 times a week right now. On those off days, I try to walk at least 30 minutes . . . don't always get my walks in, but I do try to get to my class on the other 3 days, and I have felt so much better and have even lost a few extra pounds this past month.

Post a Comment