Are You Hitting a Plateau?

For me, taking control of my life by living healthy involves a total transformation of nutrition and fitness. This is much different than teenage dieting. As a teenager, I would typically gain a few pounds starve for a week and be "good to go." As I got older, I followed a similar pattern except I wouldn't starve. Instead I would count calories and keep mine real low until I reached the "perfect size." My how that "perfect size" has changed over the years:)

Shortly after starting to change my lifestyle, the pounds did pretty good at coming off. When exercise was added to the mix, it was great! Then all of a sudden dropping pounds "slammed on the breaks"! What!?! I'm watching calories AND exercising but not dropping a pound! By not dropping a pound, I mean a solid month passing by and not losing any weight. What made matters worse was the fact I was loving going to the gym. Burning calories was NOT the issue. I posted a message on Spark People and soon learned that I wasn't eating enough. What? That was a new concept! Eat more? On the days I was exercising, I added calories and the weight started coming off.

Here are a few other things to look at if you stop losing weight while living healthy:

1) 30-40-30
Your fat grams should be 30% of your calorie intake, carbs 40%, and protein 30%. (Thanks @ Killer_Joe)
2) Take weekly averages
If you fluctuate daily "close" to where you want to be in calories, fat, protein, etc., take a weekly average. Sometimes you would be surprised how far off you are in a particular area once you take a weekly or monthly average.
3) Watch your sodium intake
4) Exercise Program should include cardio and strength
5) Alternate your exercise program to "trick your muscles"
6) Eat 5 times per day (Three main meals and two snacks)
7) Be honest! Are you eating more than you think? Even small snacks add up!

Many times we might actually think we have hit a plateau, but in actuality our weight lose has just slowed down. That is when you must remember the following:
1) Any step in the right direction is a good step!
2) Weight didn't come on overnight, so don't expect it to leave overnight!

My friend Wendy, who is a fabulous role model for looking totally awesome, learned at a Weight Watchers Meeting that you haven't hit a plateau if you are losing an average of .3 pounds per week. Wow! three tenths of a pound? I was shocked. You hear so much about losing 1 - 2 pounds per week, that it seems as if you aren't doing what you are suppose to if you aren't reaching that goal. In actuality, you might be doing exactly what your body needs!

Have you hit a plateau? Do you have any tips for others?

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

3 Response to "Are You Hitting a Plateau?"

  1. kim a Says:
    July 27, 2010 at 5:00 PM

    all that darn math! HAHA

  2. Mrs. D says:
    July 27, 2010 at 5:04 PM

    LOL Kim you need to embrace the math!! :)

  3. Mrs. Woodard says:
    July 29, 2010 at 8:51 PM

    No tips----but delighted you are happy and still working at it! My blessings to you----love bunches, Kim!

Post a Comment